Late-Season Nitrogen Applications Hit the Sweet Spot
WinField research teams plant competitor products, partner products and WinField products in side-by-side trials over multiple seasons, then evaluate these data points at local, regional and national levels from 191 locations across 32 states. This impartial testing provides comprehensive data you can use to confidently make decisions for your own operation.
Over the coming weeks, we will share some of the more significant insights derived from our 2015 Answer Plot® Program, such as:
Trials showed a positive yield response to split-season and late-season nitrogen (N) applications made at critical corn growth stages.
Researchers compared three application scenarios
- Total N allotment applied at planting
- Two-thirds of N allotment applied at planting, one-third at V10
- Total N allotment applied at planting, followed by additional N at VT
- Total N allotment at planting: 235.9 bu/A
- Split application at planting/V10: 245.3 bu/A (Average yield increase of 9.4 bu/A)
- Total N at planting, then additional N at VT: 247.1 bu/A (Average yield increase of 11.2 bu/A)
Bottom line: Strategic application timing can help eliminate the financial and environmental costs of applying excess nitrogen, and result in additional bushels.
Stay tuned for additional Answer Plot® insights throughout the season.
*2015 Answer Plot® data based on six locations in Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
Subscribe to the Advisor Newsletter
Sign up for monthly agronomic insights and product information.
Get the latest insights and tips from – directly to your inbox. Subscribe to the Advisor e-newsletter.
- Keeping you up to date on the latest news, information and agronomic tips in the industry, national and local.
- Interviews with the some of the most talented agronomists in the country.
- Proprietary research updates from our WU labs.
- Delivered to your inbox 2x a month.