Technology Makes Waves
Recently we unveiled the Uncharted Waters™ campaign. This is an interactive partnership between Land O’Lakes, Inc., WinField United, Land O’Lakes SUSTAIN (our sustainability business unit) and National Geographic. The aim of this effort is to demonstrate the importance of water, how farmers like you are taking steps to ensure its responsible use — often through the use of advanced technology — and the role that our businesses are playing in this effort.
Our goal is to shine a light on a critical topic with consumers who may not fully understand how you, WinField United and Land O’Lakes — as well as agriculture as a whole — are using technology to help protect and preserve precious and limited water resources.
Our first high-profile event occurred on March 12 at SXSW, the nation’s foremost conference on the convergence of technology and today’s culture. Teddy Bekele, vice president of IT for WinField United, spoke about how farmers are optimizing water use through technologies such as variable-rate irrigation, remote sensing and futuristic crop modeling. In addition to SXSW, we are actively pursuing other national opportunities to get the word out about the important role farmers play in water conservation every day.
Consider this: Just 0.7 percent of the world’s water is available for crop cultivation.1 Our global population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050.2 It’s on us to help meet this daunting challenge through quality data gleaned through innovative technologies. And we will.
Stay tuned for updates and insights on our continuing efforts to help protect and conserve water as the season progresses.
- Freshwater Crisis http://www.nationalgeographic.com/freshwater/freshwater-crisis.html. Accessed July 27, 2016. See more at: http://www.Winfield US.com/Beyond/index.htm#beyondtheacre
- World population projected to reach 9.6 billion by 2050. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, June 13, 2013. See more at: http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/news/population/un-report-world-population-projected-to-reach-9-6-billion-by-2050.html. Accessed July 27, 2016.
Subscribe to the Advisor Newsletter
Sign up for monthly agronomic insights and product information.
Get the latest insights and tips from – directly to your inbox. Subscribe to the Advisor e-newsletter.
- Keeping you up to date on the latest news, information and agronomic tips in the industry, national and local.
- Interviews with the some of the most talented agronomists in the country.
- Proprietary research updates from our WU labs.
- Delivered to your inbox 2x a month.