Harness the Power of Photosynthesis for Enhanced Yield Potential
Despite the many positive aspects of photosynthesis, it is a process that is highly sensitive to stresses throughout the season. Fortunately, there are several in-season management practices that can help carry your crops through those difficulties.
For example, applying a plant growth regulator (PGR) such as Ascend® can play a significant role in plant development, from helping fuel overall growth and stem elongation to stimulating the movement of sugars, signaling nutrient availability and promoting leaf greenness throughout a stressful season. PGRs can be applied in-furrow on corn, or foliar on corn and soybeans.
- In-furrow applications of Ascend® PGR stimulates germination and root development at planting.
- Foliar applications of Ascend® PGR during vegetative stages supports development as plants progress further into the growth cycle and in-furrow applications have run their course. Foliar applications nurture the newly developed leaves, especially those in the upper part of the plant, which are more active and important for supplying sugars to developing corn grains or soybean pods.
- Foliar applications at tassel or flowering help target leaves that support the grain or pod through maturity during another period of high stress.
Now is also a key time to focus on other in-season management practices, such as plant nutrition.
If tissue sampling reveals nutrient deficiencies, foliar applications of Ascend® PGR provide an opportunity to apply micronutrients your plant may be hungry for.
Yield potential is highest the day you plant the seed, as it is really about optimizing the genetic potential of the plant. Every day that follows is an opportunity for environmental stresses to limit that potential. The in-season management practices that we can employ to protect photosynthesis, improve water availability and support nutrient uptake are all valuable components of your toolkit.
Contact your local WinField retailer to learn more about developing a healthy plant nutrition program with tools such as Ascend® PGR.
Subscribe to the Advisor Newsletter
Sign up for monthly agronomic insights and product information.
Get the latest insights and tips from – directly to your inbox. Subscribe to the Advisor e-newsletter.
- Keeping you up to date on the latest news, information and agronomic tips in the industry, national and local.
- Interviews with the some of the most talented agronomists in the country.
- Proprietary research updates from our WU labs.
- Delivered to your inbox 2x a month.