Get a Jump on Spring Weed Control
Tocco adds that mounting glyphosate resistance is prompting many farmers to return to preemergence herbicide applications. “It’s critical to clean up fields early, before resistant varieties get a foothold. You can’t count on in-season glyphosate applications to control some of the more stubborn weeds.”
USE ALL YOUR TOOLS
There’s no such thing as a silver bullet for managing weeds, says Tocco. He urges farmers to make use of a variety of weed-control tactics to find the best solution for their specific challenges. He outlines the elements that matter most in effective weed-control plans.
- Timing. Consider both pre- and postemergence herbicide applications to keep weeds from getting the upper hand.
- Rates. Check labels for target pests and crops.
- Carrier volume. Increase gallons per acre for better postemergence coverage.
- Adjuvants. Maximize spray mixture efficacy with the right adjuvants and water conditioners.
- Nozzles. Match the right nozzle tips to the spray situation for optimum deposition and coverage.
- Modes of action. Combat weed herbicide resistance by rotating herbicide modes of action.
Subscribe to the Advisor Newsletter
Sign up for monthly agronomic insights and product information.
Get the latest insights and tips from – directly to your inbox. Subscribe to the Advisor e-newsletter.
- Keeping you up to date on the latest news, information and agronomic tips in the industry, national and local.
- Interviews with the some of the most talented agronomists in the country.
- Proprietary research updates from our WU labs.
- Delivered to your inbox 2x a month.