Continue Adopting Tech in 2018
In-season decision package
WinField United offers a variety of ag technology tools that are designed to work together as a holistic package. A scenario that uses these tools could look something like this:
- Select your hybrid in the R7® Tool by looking at archive imagery and data from the Answer Plot® Program to determine what seed will work best for your field conditions and management style.
- Use the R7® Tool to create a variable-rate prescription that accounts for differences in your field.
- Access the R7® Field Monitoring Tool to monitor crop growth and identify possible issues.
- Take tissue samples to identify nutrient deficiencies.
- Feed tissue sampling results into the R7® Field Forecasting Tool and let the model help you determine how and when to make in-season input adjustments.
Using several tools as part of a holistic package can help you determine what field issues need immediate attention and which ones can wait to be addressed.
Putting the tools to work
In 2017, WinField United worked with a farmer to increase corn yield on a particularly tough irrigated field by using the tech tools mentioned above.
We first looked at soil type and field variability, then selected the hybrid that best matched the field based on Answer Plot® Program data. After planting, we used in-season tools to monitor nutrient deficiencies, took tissue samples and looked at higher-yielding areas and at where stress issues might be. We identified that micronutrient stress was preventing nitrogen from getting into the corn plants. We also used the R7® Field Forecasting Tool to help the farmer make more informed decisions regarding irrigation timing, thus conserving water.
At season’s end, that field enjoyed about a 30-bushel-per-acre yield bump, even with fewer inputs made per bushel. Bottom line: The farmer was more profitable, more productive and more sustainable.
Continue to learn and experiment
Talk with your trusted advisor to determine what ag technology tools fit your management style and what you’re willing to take on. Once you find what works for you, make a more definite commitment. Continue trying and adopting new technology to help move your operation forward.
Subscribe to the Advisor Newsletter
Sign up for monthly agronomic insights and product information.
Get the latest insights and tips from – directly to your inbox. Subscribe to the Advisor e-newsletter.
- Keeping you up to date on the latest news, information and agronomic tips in the industry, national and local.
- Interviews with the some of the most talented agronomists in the country.
- Proprietary research updates from our WU labs.
- Delivered to your inbox 2x a month.